Using Our Shampoo Bars
Three Sisters Apothecary Shampoo Bars are a true soap that cleans hair differently by gently cleansing and hydrating with a fluffy, super-rich lather. Most liquid shampoos contain synthetic detergents which strip hair of everything from the daily dirt buildup to natural healthy oils, leaving hair dull and lifeless. This can cause scalp dryness, resulting in flaking and a limp quality to the hair shaft itself. Our shampoo bars are free of synthetic ingredients and utilize key actives to support hair health leaving it radiant and deeply hydrated.
Shampoo Bars do require a transition period, but hair will adapt over time so don’t give up if your hair acts differently during the ‘detoxifying’ process when accumulated synthetics are being removed. A vinegar or lemon rinse daily or 3x a week will remove existing buildup. Once hair has adjusted, continue with weekly vinegar rinses to keep hair pH balanced, prevent tangles, and remove buildup.
Step 1: Thoroughly saturate hair with warm water.
Step 2: Build a rich lather in your hands and apply to hair.
Step 3: Work from root to tip. Go easy to avoid residue build-up.
Step 4: Rinse, rinse, rinse! Once hair is rinsed, rinse it again. A good rinse removes any soap left in hair and makes it easier to comb. After rinsing, hair may feel sticky which is normal as alkaline levels have been raised, causing the hair shaft to swell. An acidic rinse, like apple cider vinegar or diluted lemon juice will help close the hair cuticle and prevent tangling.
Step 5: Our hair-type specific conditioning oils complement our shampoo bars perfectly. They are extremely versatile and can be used in several ways including as a hot oil treatment, a wash out conditioner and as a styling oil.
Hot Oil: Warm the bottle in a dish of warm water, always test the oil against the wrist to make sure it is a comfortable temperature. Apply to hair from roots to tips and wrap hair. Allow to sit in hair for 20 minutes prior to washing out.
Conditioner: Apply to hair following shampoo bar, work from roots to tips and then rinse with warm water.
Styling Aid: Pour a small amount of hair oil into hands and work through hair from roots to ends to replenish healthy hair oil balance.
To apply as a Hot oil or a Styling Aid hair does not need to be freshly washed. Remember as a styling aid a little goes a long way so use sparingly and really work through your strands to condition lightly.
Hair Rinse Recipes:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar (apple cider vinegar is especially nice), 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, and a cup of water in a bottle with a squirt or spray top. If possible the bottle should be glass.
- After lightly toweling hair dry, spray or squirt the rinse on hair and work from roots to tips. Let Lemon juice rinse sit on hair for 7-10 minutes from first application.
- At this point hair can be lightly rinsed. Again towel dry, and continue to next step.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar (apple cider vinegar is especially nice), and a cup of water in a bottle with a squirt or spray top. If possible the bottle should be glass.
- After lightly toweling hair dry, spray or squirt the rinse on hair and work from roots to tips. Let rinse sit on hair for 10-15 minutes from first application.
- Then if you choose lightly rinse hair. Again towel dry, and continue to next step.
Please note: Hard water may necessitate using a vinegar rinse more frequently or getting a home water softener. It can present a challenge with shampoo bars as you will need more product to lather and longer rinsing times.